The Chuck Copenace Group
Chuck Copenace is an Ojibway jazz musician based out of Winnipeg MB. He shares his story of recovery, spiritual awakening and how traditional ceremony changed his musical outlook. He is one of a very elite group of indigenous musicians who honor their traditional melodies by incorporating them into his work; composing and performing new and compelling music that successfully unite creativity and spirituality.
The Chuck Copenace Group is his own groove based jazz project formed in the spring of 2015 to perform his original music which is a unique blend of indigenous ceremonial music, R’nB, Funk, EDM and Hip Hop. His group’s repertoire includes reconceptions of music by Roots Manuva, Wayne Shorter, Arvo Part and Freddie Hubbard. His most recent compositions are a brand new fusion of Sacred Melody with contemporary jazz.
- 2019 Kaslo Jazz Fest Main Stage, Kaslo BC Canada
- 2018 Guatemala International Jazz Fest – Guatemala City, Antigua, Guatemala
- 2017 Canada Games – Indigenous Voices at CMHR, Winnipeg Manitoba
- 2017 Manyfest Main stage – Winnipeg, Manitoba
- 2017 Indigenous Arts Festival – Fort York Historical Site, Toronto On
- 2017 TD Winnipeg International Jazz Festival
- 2017 APTN Aboriginal Day Live (also with Burnt Project)
- 2016 TD Winnipeg International Jazz Festival
- 2016 Aboriginal Day at the Forks
- 2016 Canada Day at Assiniboine Park
- 2016 Gimli Icelandic Festival
- 2015 Winnipeg Grey Cup Festival
- 2015 Ohshkii Awards (Indigenous Music Awards)
- Aboriginal Music Week 2015
- Woodland Cultural Center 2015 (Six Nations Territory).
He has performed all across Canada and parts of the USA, along with numerous television appearances. He has extensive festival experience that includes performances at Winnipeg, Montreal, Saskatchewan, Vancouver and Victoria’s jazz festivals along with Winnipeg Folk Fest. Chuck has either toured, recorded or performed with many Winnipeg groups such as Mosesmayes, Eagle and Hawk, Burnt Project 1, Wab Kinew, Nathan, and most recently Vince Fontaine’s Indian City.
High Res Photos